AGENCY FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVES Key Issues and
Operational Areas, Major Activiities & Achivements
Operational Districts: East Garo Hills, East Khasi Hills, Jaintia Hills, Ribhoi, South Garo Hills, West Garo Hills, West Khasi Hills, East Garo Hills, East Khasi Hills, Jaintia Hills, Ribhoi, South Garo Hills, West Garo Hills, West Khasi Hills
Operational States: MEGHALAYA
AchieveMents: Agency for Sustainable Development Initiatives is non-profit, secular, registered, social and charitable Society under the Certificate of Registration of Societies Act 21 of 1860 under the Government of Meghalaya, Shillong, with a mission to improve the quality of life of the most vulnerable sections of society, particularly those residing in remote rural communities.
Major Achievements/ Activities
1. MAIRANG VIDYAJYOTI INCLUSIVE SCHOOL, MAIRANGâ�?��?? One of the important areas of empowerment of persons with disabilities is their education. Inclusive education means that all students in a school, regardless of their strengths or weaknesses in any area become part of the school community. They are included in the feeling of belonging among other students and support staff.Therefore the agency has started a school for the welfare of the Persons with Disability, known as Mairang Vidyajyoti Inclusive School. At present there are 173students in this school and 20 teaching and non-teaching staff. This is the first and the only type of school in the whole District of West Khasi Hills.
2. Rev.AMIRKHA SCHOOL FOR DISABLED-Education is such a powerful instrument without which there cannot be any progress or development in the society and its social structure. Hence, it plays a key role for the future of the society. This school was started in the year 2012 only. It is located at Mawlai, Shillong. The aim of the school is to provide opportunities for Children with disabilities as well as adults to avail of formal and non-formal educational services and vocational training programmes leading to their socio-economic independence and the enrichment of their self-esteem as human beings
3. HEALTH CARE SERVICES- The Agency organizes Health Awareness Programmes every year, where health preventive measures and proper sanitary were taught to the people. And also Free Medical Camp after the programme.The Agency has planned to have a mobile clinic for the rural areas in the Mairang and Mawthadraishan C and RD Blocks in the coming year.
4. SYNOD SEPNGI TRAINING INSTITUTE CUM PRODUCTION CENTRE- This Centre is running well,the trainees who have trained in this Centre and some of them were accommodated in the Centrewhile some have started their own Entrepreneurship. At present there are 3 units in this institute-1. Printing and Binding, 2. Exercise book making and Paper Bag Making.On 25 February, 2015 inaugurates the building at Shillong Industrial Estate, Lumjingshai by Rev.S.S. Majaw, Moderator K.J.P Synod Sepngi in the presence of Smti. Roshan Warjri, Honorable Home Minister, as a Special Guest, Smt. Dikkanshi .D. Shira, Guest of Honour, Pastors and the representatives of the different Presbytery.
5. COMMUNITY BASED REHABILITATION PROGRAMME, MAIRANG- Community Based Rehabilitation Programme (CBR) was started on 1 April 2009, covering 30 villages under Mairang Block. This programme works among Personswith Disability (PWDs) under six areas, that is, Staffing and Management, Needs Assessment, Education, Health, Social, Livelihoods and Advocacy and Empowerment. There are 210 beneficiariesunder this programme.
6. Rev. S. WOLINGTON CHILDRENâ�?��?�S HOME- The agency has started a childrenâ�?��?�s home at Nongpyndeng, Nongstoin in the West Khasi Hills District. At the initial stage the home is being in a rented building with 58 inmates who stay there and 11 staffs. The land measuring about 6 acres has been acquired and the organization is in the process to mobilize fund for construction of a permanent building. This home consists of school and vocational training and also counseling center.
7. Child Development Centre-The Agency for Sustainable Development Initiatives (AFSDI) in partnership with Compassion East India setup the Child Development Centre (CDC) at the heart of Sohiong village.The children at the centre will be equipped in the following ways
(a) Spiritual- strong in faith and deed
(b) Social- be responsible member of their families, churches and communities
(c) Economic- support them-selves (self-sufficient) and share with others in need.
(d) Physical- maintain the physical well-being
At present there are 157 children in this centre.